Tuesday, April 05, 2005

It will hurt like hell

As I lay down on my bed last night, I was recounting the moments I had during the fest this year. All of a sudden, there was a jerk in my thoughts …. It was my last fest. It’s not that I didn’t know but I suddenly got conscious. The last day of these four years in IIIT Hyd is close, very close. I have been in a similar situation earlier too while leaving my school after class VIII. It was a residential school far from cities, deep inside the nature, in Samastipur district of my home state. We had spent a few long years together there. Every single day we cursed the hostels, the food, the exams and above all the strict rules and the agony of being confined to the same old campus. We felt like prisoners at times. Often we wished we could get out of that damned place. I remember even just two days before the final day; we were celebrating the end, our forthcoming freedom. In the evening before the day, there was a short meeting of all the students and our warden. At the end of the meeting, everything changed. I heard people weeping. It soon changed into a session of mass hysteria. Some were crying like lunatics. The much awaited last day, the day of celebration got transformed into a day of shedding tears as people started leaving. It was not really feeling sorry for losing close friends. It was different. I walked around the campus, hugged and cried with people I hardly had ever talked to. The final hours in the campus got us closer than what we were in the last few years.

The scenario in IIIT is not much different. Here also we often get frustrated with the place. The absence of city-life, the scarcity of girls, 8:30 classes in winter, awful mess, the worst attendence policy, the howling of the profs specially the guide …. The list can go on and on. But no matter what, we definitely love this place. I don’t know how people will react on the final day. I don’t know whether 23-year-olds will cry like 14-year-olds did. But I can guarantee you something ….. It will hurt ….. It will hurt like hell.

No comments: